The Future of Canada’s Capital Markets:
Where do we go from here?
DATE May 25, 2021, 11:00amET-12:30pmET
The Canadian economy is poised for significant growth this year as the country slowly emerges from the pandemic. Yet, as the recent report by the Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce clearly identified, capital formation in Canada faces ongoing hurdles that may be dampening growth and competitiveness. Meanwhile, the organization charged with establishing a national securities regulator has been shut down, which perpetuates fragmentation in Canada’s capital markets.
The confluence of these factors leads to a pressing question we will be discussing – what can be done to sustain and enhance Canada’s capital markets and make Canada more hospitable to investment?
Join our discussion, moderated by Barry Campbell (Campbell Strategies), to hear guest speakers Walied Soliman (Chair, Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce), Diane Kazarian (PwC Canada), Kathy Butler (CIBC Capital Markets), Stéphane Rousseau (Université de Montreal), and Mark Carney (Brookfield Asset Management) offer their perspectives on how to bolster Canada’s capital markets in the face of challenges and opportunities ahead.
- Barry Campbell, President, Campbell Strategies, Toronto
- Walied Soliman, Chair, Capital Markets Modernization Taskforce, Canadian Chair, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto
- Diane Kazarian, GTA Managing Partner & National Banking and Capital Markets Leader, PwC Canada, Toronto
- Kathy Butler, Managing Director and Head, CIBC Capital Markets – BC and Co-Head, Technology & Innovation Investment Banking, Vancouver
- Stéphane Rousseau, Chair in Governance and Business Law, Université de Montreal
- Mark Carney, Vice-Chair Brookfield Asset Management, Head of ESG and Impact Fund Investing, United Nations Special Envoy on Climate Action and Finance, former Governor of the Bank of England and the Bank of Canada, Former Chair, Financial Stability Board.
This is a 90-minute webinar in English.